Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic inflammatory disorder affecting many joints, including those in the hands and feet. This happens when your body’s defenses target the linings in your joints. Rheumatoid Arthritis affects joints on both sides of the body, such as both hands, both wrists, or both knees. This symmetry helps to identify it apart from other types of arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis can also affect the skin, eyes, heart, blood, nerves, and lungs. RA is diagnosed by examining blood test results, examining the joints and organs, and reviewing x-ray or ultrasound images. Symptoms of RA:
- Chronic pain
- Loss of flexibility
- Grinding sensation in joints
- Bone spurs
How does CBD help treat Rheumatoid Arthritis?The current treatment for RA is to target localized inflammation. This is to target the effects of the disease rather than the underlying cause of it. In a recent study, CBD was shown to suppress localized T-cell function and activity, suggesting that the cannabinoid may be capable of treating the underlying cause of RA. T-cells are a type of white blood cell that is crucial to the body’s ability to produce a healthy immune response. Other studies have shown that CBD can suppress inflammation caused by arthritis disorders like RA, and thereby minimize localized pain. CBD is known to reduced pain and improved sleep without any negative side effects. Another study concludes that topical CBD application has therapeutic potential for relief of arthritis pain-related behaviors and inflammation without evident side-effects.
- A novel synthetic, nonpsychoactive cannabinoid acid (HU-320) with antiinflammatory properties in murine collagen-induced arthritis
- Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis
- The nonpsychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol is an oral anti-arthritic therapeutic in murine collagen-induced arthritis
- Cannabinoid receptor 2 as a potential therapeutic target in rheumatoid arthritis
- Characterisation of the cannabinoid receptor system in synovial tissue and fluid in patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Cannabinoids: novel therapies for arthritis?
- Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs
- Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis