Did you know that CBD can help you with an addiction?
In a 2013 study done on rats, scientists found that CBD can successfully block the addictive effects of highly addictive painkillers such as morphine. Specifically, CBD reduced the pleasure of morphine, making it seem like less of a reward.
Thus, CBD could be a promising solution to the Opioid Crisis. Recent research published by “Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment” reported that states that have implemented medical marijuana programs have already seen a 25% drop in deaths by opioid overdose.
Furthermore, pain patients using medical cannabis (which by nature is high in CBD) used 64% fewer opioid painkillers than those for whom a medical marijuana program was not available.
- Adolescent Exposure to Chronic Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Blocks Opiate Dependence in Maternally Deprived Rats
- Cannabidiol, a Nonpsychotropic Component of Cannabis, Inhibits Cue-Induced Heroin Seeking and Normalizes Discrete Mesolimbic Neuronal Disturbances
- Cannabidiol as an Intervention for Addictive Behaviors: A Systematic Review of the Evidence
- CBD as an Intervention for Addictive Behaviors
- CBD reduces cigarette consumption in tobacco smokers
- Inhibition of monoacylglycerol lipase enzyme reduces nicotine withdrawal
- CBD inhibits the reward-facilitating effect of morphine
- Cannabidiol, a non-psychotropic component of cannabis, inhibits cue-induced heroin seeking and normalizes discrete mesolimbic neuronal disturbances
- Differential effect of cannabinol and cannabidiol on THC-induced responses during abstinence in morphine-dependent rats
- Impact of Cannabis Use during Stabilization on Methadone Maintenance Treatment
- Medical cannabis laws and opioid analgesic overdose mortality in the United States, 1999-2010
- Cannabis as a substitute for alcohol and other drugs
- Interactions between delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol and heroin: self-administration in rhesus monkeys
- Medical Cannabis Laws and Opioid Analgesic Overdose Mortality in the United States, 1999-2010
- Dysregulation of cannabinoid CB1 receptor and associated signaling networks in brains of cocaine addicts and cocaine-treated rodents
- Comparison of CBD, antioxidants, and diuretics in reversing binge ethanol-induced neurotoxicity
- Transdermal delivery of CBD attenuates binge alcohol-induced neurodegeneration in a rodent model of an alcohol use disorder
- CBD for the treatment of cannabis withdrawal syndrome
- Cannabis use disorders are comparatively prevalent among nonwhite racial/ethnic groups and adolescents
- CBD Counteracts Amphetamine-Induced Neuronal and Behavioral Sensitization of the Mesolimbic Dopamine Pathway
- CBD regulation of emotion and emotional memory processing: relevance for treating anxiety-related and substance abuse disorders
- Early Phase in the Development of CBD as a Treatment for Addiction: Opioid Relapse Takes Initial Center Stage
- Epigenetic mechanisms associated with addiction-related behavioral effects of nicotine and/or cocaine: implication of the endocannabinoid system
- Effects of Cannabidiol on Morphine Conditioned Place Preference in Mice